Saturday

Blackberry Crumb Buckles ~ Sol's

Sol's Blackberry Crumb Buckles

With a Huge Thank You to Sol!

I had the good fortune of running into a fabulously talented baker, and cook by the name of Sol about two years ago on a popular message board. I have never been disappointed with any recipe she so generously shares, and this is one of them.

I've made these several times, in both sizes ~ they always receive raves.

.Sol's Blackberry Crumb Buckles

12 regular size muffin/cupcake or 6 jumbo muffin size Cakes

Crumb Mixture:
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Vegetable oil cooking spray
.. .
Batter:
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons AP flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons finely grated lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup whole milk
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 large egg ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 ¾ cup blackberries
. Make crumb mixture:
Cut butter into small pieces, and in a bowl, blend together with sugar, flour and cinnamon until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill mixture while preparing batter.

Preheat oven to 425º F and generously spray twelve ½ cup muffin cups with cooking spray*

. Make batter:
In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, lime zest and a pinch of salt. In a measuring cup whisk together milk, cream, beaten egg and vanilla. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk mixture and flour mixture, each in 3 batches, adding each mixture separately.

.Spoon 2 tablespoons crumb mixture into each muffin cup and top with half the blackberries in each cup. Top batter with remaining berries and spoons 2 tablespoons crumb mixture over berries in each cup. Bake buckles in middle of oven until golden 15-20 minutes. Cool buckles on a rack 15 minutes. Run knife around edge of each buckle and loosen buckles from cups.
.
These are Sol's notes:

.*Instead of the 12 muffin pan, I used the jumbo (6 cups) muffin pan. If you decide to use a larger pan, you’ll need to extend the baking time. Mine took approximately 30 minutes to bake.
A quick way to remove the buckles from the pan is to (after running a knife around the edges) lay a piece of parchment on top of them. Then place a cookie sheet over the parchment, and flip them over at once. Then gently turn them right side up again.


My notes: I've made these both ways, 12 cakes and 6 cakes, they are soo good and make the kitchen smell marvelous while they are baking ~ and for as long as they last, which is never long. I use wild blackberries which grow on my property for this, but it is a wonderful recipe for Marionberries, and raspberries too. Sometimes I make extra crumb topping because I love it! I bake it off in a shallow baking pan, and then sprinkle additional on top of the buckles after they are baked, as I did this time.

I usually bake the buckles at 375-degrees (F), otherwise they brown too quickly in my ovens.

This one gets 5 stars out of 5, in my opinion, and thanks again Sol!

Do yourself a favor and visit Sol's exquisite website gallery of her imaginative creations and also her delightfully witty blog. They are two of the most beautiful sites I know of. Grab yourself a beverage, settle in and be prepared to be blown away!


Sol's website ~ http://www.memoriesinthebaking.com/galleries.html

And her blog~ http://memoriesinthebaking.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Mary, Mary... those look awesome! I was planning to search for a blackberry recipe tomorrow and you've saved me time. I have everything on hand for this recipe. Thanks to Sol too... I love every recipe of hers that I've tried.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks from me too Mary. I have been picking blackberries for the past couple of weeks. I want to fill my freezer for the winter. This is a great year here for them..very sweet. I've been collecting BB recipes and this one will go to the head of the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came home from my CSA with the sweetest, plumpest blackberry I have ever seen. This recipe looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so HAPPY to read your comments! Thanks for letting me know. I hope you like these as much as I do.

    I have a habit of sometimes putting too many berries under the cake layer (the first layer of berries), and they get a little sloppy looking when baked-- but it doesn't matter. Just let them cool in the pan a bit before unmolding, it helps them set up, but if they collapse a bit when you unmold them, don't worry they will still be every bit as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...but maybe I'll make these...!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner