Friday

Potato Horseradish Latkes and Smoked Salmon with Chive Cream

Potato Horseradish Latkes and Smoked Salmon with Chive Cream

Oooh, these are soo good! They are an excellent appetizer, but I like them so much I can make a meal out of them.

The horseradish give these a very gentle bite (depending upon how strong the horseradish is.) You may use freshly grated horseradish, or good quality prepared, from the jar. The recipe is another adapted from "Christina's Cookbook" (scroll down to the amazon link in the right hand column for more information about the book, and and opportunity to purchase it.)

Christina explains that these latkes were made by her husband's grandmother, who came from a shtetl near Minsk at the turn of the previous century. I've made latkes frequently, but this is the first time I've ever shredded the potatoes so finely; I'll do it this way from now on, they are fabulous, so light and lacy.


For this recipe I use wild Alaskan Sockeye smoked salmon but you can use any kind of firm, dry smoked salmon. (If you prefer smoked lox, by all means, subsitute!)

Potato Horseradish Latkes, Smoked Salmon, Chive Cream
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer


Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes, such as russets or Red Bliss
3 tablespoons chicken fat, lard, or butter (I use butter because I always have it on hand)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 heaping tablespoon prepared horeradish, or 1 teaspoon fresh horseradish, grated
2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut oil (I use canola oil)
4 ounces smoked salmon, broken into chunks


Method:
Peel the potatoes and finely shred them. Combine the potatoes with the fat/oil, eggs, horseradish, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Mix all well and shape into little patties (about 1/2 cup each), the original recipe suggests you chill them on a tray in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. I find that they exude too much water if formed and refrigerated. I simply shape them into patties and add them to the pan as I make them. (Keep the finished latkes on a rack in a pan setat a low temperature oven to keep warm until all are fried.)

Coat the bottom of a large saute pan with oil and heat over medium high heat until oil is hot. Fry the latkes for 2 minutes per side, until crispy and golden. (Keep warm until all are fried.)

Serve topped with chunks of smoked salmon and a dollop of chive cream.

Chive Cream
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely minced chives
Mix the sour cream and chives together shortly before serving, keep chilled if made slightly ahead of time.

3 comments:

  1. Mari, Latkes are one of Sam's favorite foods. She'll eat those plain. But, for me, it's not quite a treat, until it's paired with smoked salmon. Beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Mary. They look delicious..

    I used to make these in school with the kids to celebrate Hannukah, that was when we could celebrate Christmas, etc....
    I used the blender to shred the potatoes and onions...and the kids liked them with applesauce.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sol, I consider that HIGH praise coming from you. I adore your creations. :)

    K~ Using the blender to make a large quantity quickly is a great idea. I'll bet your students loved them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner