Tuesday

Petite & Moist Banana Cake with Creamy Orange Frosting and Toasted Coconut



We celebrated a birthday at our house over the weekend so I made a tiny layer cake, using two 5-inch x 3-inch Cheese Cake Pans.



We don't have cakes very often anymore so I wanted this one to be very special; a nice moist cake with an essence of orange based frosting. With delicately crunchy toasted coconut (far superior to that tough, flavorless pre-toasted stuff you get from the store.)


You can probably surmise that we like a generous amount of frosting,
(as long as it is not too sweet.)


This is one of my all-time favorites ~ cream cheese based; smooth and creamy. This time I flavored it with a little vanilla and orange extracts, and a bit of orange zest; from the super-fine microplane grater .



Delicate frosting with a creamy, silky orange flavor.
Think 50-50 or Dreamcicle.



Little tendrils of orange, from my favorite garnish zester


It made turning another year older... a little easier to take. :)

If you would like printable copies of the recipes for the cake and frosting you can find them on the Once Upon a Plate recipe blog by clicking HERE.

Thanks for coming by today, friends!









20 comments:

  1. Mouth-watering!
    All my favorites, banana, orange, coconut and the magic word 'creamy'!
    Sounds wonderful!

    Happy Birthday!
    All best wishes to you!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! I love the frosting recipe and the addition of toasted coconut sounds DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Mari! I like how you've been cooking with portion control in mind. Way better than having this delicious cake around until two people decide to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa momma come to me baby! that cake looks SUPER! glad you had a happy bday and glad you saved us a bite of cake~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it again! The cake looks enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty of a cake...I have those little pans too...I must try them for a petite cake...
    Happy Birthday sweet friend!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a gorgeous cake!! I love the super thick frosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful and it sounds really good. I am amazed at how perfect it looks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG...How darn cute is this cake, it is so cute and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so yummy! I would have never thought of the combination but am anxious to try it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your comments, friends.

    And thanks for the sweet birthday wishes! ((hugs!!))

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love the orange tendrils - reminds me of a little girl's ringlets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mari,
    Happy Birthday! I would love to join you for some of that cake.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. You won my heart with "orange", grins. This cake looks so dreamy good! I really like the idea of orange, coconut, and banana flavors partnered in a delectable little cake.

    Hope you have many happy birthday memories to cherish and wishes come through throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that is what I call a perfectly constructed cake! The dome is adorable. it reminds me of a little circus tent ...:)) I too like a frosting that is not too sweet and banana cakes are one of my favourite cakes ...Im definitely checking out this recipe esp for the frosting !TQ so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this. I love all things mini! The cake looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful cake on a beautiful plate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your sweet comments and birthday wishes ~ you all are the BEST! ((hugs)) ~m.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner