Tuesday

Individual Dutch Babies ~ Oven Baked Puff Pancakes



Probably most everyone is familiar with the puffy oven-baked pancakes known as "Dutch Babies". I've posted about them before (HERE.)


They have been a favorite at our house for many years and usually I make the big, spectacular kind, baked in a large pan.










But sometimes for a special breakfast I'll bake individually sized portions in smaller pans like these 6.5-inch diameter Lodge cast iron skillets. I originally bought a bunch of these little skillets for a tapas party we had, but they are a great size for preparing or serving other foods as well.








The ingredients for the Dutch Baby batter is exactly the same; Eggs, Flour, Milk and Butter. Some like to add a little vanilla extract, or a pinch of salt and/or sugar ~ that's up to you.








The method is very simple; preheat the oven to 450 to 500 degrees (F), place the pan(s) into the oven to heat. While the pans are heating whisk or blend the batter ingredients together; I always combine and whir everything in the blender. Add butter to the pans and allow it to melt, then pour the batter into the melted butter.








In about 10 to 20 minutes the oven pancakes will have puffed and browned dramatically. If you like the eggy taste and texture bake for the shorter amount of time, if you like them slightly crispy as I do, allow them to bake a little longer and they will brown nicely.

Top them with anything you like; this time I chose time blueberries and raspberries with a squeeze of lemon and a dusting of Confectioner's sugar. Maple syrup, honey, yogurt, cinnamon apples, or any fruit or fruit syrup are also delicious; you can offer a selection and allow everyone to add the toppings of their choice at the table.








I do like the larger Dutch Babies for a dramatic show, but the individual size allows more of the delectable crispy edges per portion. :)
If you would like a printable copy of the recipe, click HERE.
For another of my posts about the spectacular size Dutch Babies ~
click HERE.


Thank you for taking the time to stop by ~ I would love if you would leave me a comment!









23 comments:

  1. To my son the large pan is an individual size pan- that's how much he likes puffed oven pancake- may be that is why he is 6ft. 4in tall! As always yours looks prettier then mine.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! That's how easy it is? I am all about individual servings of things these days. I've been on the lookout for little dishes and pans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my very favorite things in the world....

    I want those little tiny pans!They are so cute!

    I am so making these this weekend...it has been too long!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous and I like those tin pans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are so good and the presentation is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Dutch Babies are absolutely beautiful! I have always called this dish a puffed pancake but, not anymore-It's dutch babies from this day forward. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your food pictures. I suppose I would love it more if I could actually taste the food...but, I always enjoy your recipes and the way you tell us about them!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are stunning and a great recipe to have around the busy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How darn cute are those....I simply love dutch babies, at our local Elmer's you can get the large version for breakfast. I love the cute little ones much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari, these are wonderful! I've never heard of them before and will definitely try them when both kids are home for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Photos. Really lovely!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my first visit, and I am not sure if I shall be returning as
    I may have gained 5 lbs. just from browsing. :) Wonderful
    Blog!!!!!!

    Actually 'Gollum' sent me over to check out your Penguins on your side-bar. Is it possible for you to repeat, how they are made? I clicked on 'the gallery' for instructions, but to no avail.
    Thank you and with appreciaton..... -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic oven i ever look.This is perfectly matching with ur kitchen. I m surely following ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dutch babies look yummy! I really like your tiny skillets! If I were to find those I would certainly have to buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dutch babies?! Just the sound of it makes me smile! And they are gorgeous, Mari! Absolutely stunning, especially with the fruit garnishing and dusting of icing sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mari... These are truly beautiful...I like individual 'pies' . and I love coming here to oogle at your pics. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mari, please cancel my request. I did a websearch and found the instructions for the Penguins.

    Wishing you and those close to your heart: A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON & A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are so cute individually done.I love how ind. servings stay warm:) Beautiful as always~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely adore puff pancakes, and I'm loving the idea of making individual ones. Beautiful, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mari, what a wonderful way to make breakfast special! Many thanks for the recipe & idea...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow they have really puffed up. Looks beautiful with the fruits in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mari, this post is a true feast for the eyes! Just beautiful and dramatic. I have made these once, but have forgotten about them. Shame on me. Your post makes me want to make them for breakfast tomorrow.
    Yummy!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, oh, oh, you have captured my heart with these individual Dutch babies. Now why didn't I ever think of that. Splendid!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner