Friday

Black Cod Filets with Sage on Crispy Potato Cakes





Here is a flavorful way to prepare a filet of fish, or a fish steaks. It's another one inspired by Donna Hay.
Donna's recipe suggested using Black Cod so that's what I chose but I you can use any firm fish that you'd like.



I wanted to make the meal a little more substantial so I prepared a couple of very small potato cakes, one for each of us, and placed the cooked fish portions on top.



The preparation of the fish is really simple; fresh sage leaves and lime slices are quickly sauteed in a combination of butter and oil, then removed from the pan. The fish is sauteed in the same pan for a couple of minutes on each side until still slightly opaque then garnished with the sage and lime.



I would definitely prepare fish this way again, but I do think it needs the crispy, creamy potato cake for textural contrast. The potato also mellows and rounds out the tangy lime and rather strong sage flavors. A good substitute for the potato cake would be potato cottage fries, which would offer the same balance.


Yes, the potatoes really make the dish complete, imo. I served baby spinach, quickly sauteed with a few thin garlic slices in a bit of olive oil until tender.
With thanks, once again to Donna Hay for her wonderful inspiration!




If you would like a printable copy of the recipe you'll find it on my recipe blog,
by clicking HERE.
If you try it, I hope you like it too.








15 comments:

  1. What a stunning dinner ~ simply done and elegantly presented! Many thanks for sharing these great recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy!!! you and Donna Hay...what a combination baby!

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you George and Linda!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, thanks for stopping by. :)

    And Linda, HBD to J!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the buttery flavor of black cod. This looks like a terrific recipe, I like the idea of fried sage on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shouldn't have looked since I have no dinner fixed tonight! This looks amazing...but of course everything you post looks amazing.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mari, this is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!!!! Oh my gosh, so well prepared and presented. This is food art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and giving me the chance to find yours. The recipes are fabulous and the photos are really stunning. My mouth is watering looking at all of them. I'll be back often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks beautiful! Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you C! Black Cod isn't available here very frequently, so when I see it I buy it. I like it very much too.

    Awww Sue, Thank you so much. :)

    Katy, I'm still thinking about your candied orange peel ~ it's the prettiest I've ever seen. I know my grandfather would think so too!

    Hey CCLinda! So nice to see you here. Yours is on my favorites list you know. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    Hi Mrs. B, Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous of how you can take a Donna Hay dish (which are so beautifully photographed to begin with) and make them even prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great comb dear...Exellent clicks and presentation....

    ReplyDelete
  12. They looks superb nesting on the potato cakes:) Love the sage leaves too Mary~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another gorgeous meal to drool over. A new twist on Fish and Chips. I love the idea of serving fish on top of a potato cake. I'll bet it would be wonderful with halibut too. Thanks Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The crispy potato cakes caught my attention instantly. I think any fresh fish atop those potato cakes will look and taste super. As always, Mari, photos you can eat!

    Ju

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG those potato cakes look absolutely delicious.Tq for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner