Friday

Have you met Chilatas? You're in for a treat.



My new friend in the kitchen ~ a deliciously crunchy, salty, slightly spicy condiment. Move over Bacon crumbles, you've got competition!



Chilatas is a textured powder of toasted and ground seeds and nut, seasoned with chile and salt. It is sprinkled over a freshly made corn tortilla or a dish of beans.

I especially adore it sprinkled on salads.

Delicious, healthy, crunchy and addictive.

Vegetarian friendly and gluten free. Best of all, you make it yourself.



This version is from Diana Kennedy, foremost authority on authentic Mexican food.


More about Diana Kennedy




The main ingredients are raw, hulled pumpkin seeds, raw sesame seeds, and peanuts.


The seasonings are simply sea salt and Chipolte powder.



Chipolte powder is readily available on the spice aisle of most grocery stores.



The peanuts and seeds are toasted, then combined and ground (I just pulse the mix in the food processor until the desired texture is achieved), and combined with the salt and chili powder.

I keep a jar in the refrigerator, and one in the freezer so I'm never without. :)

I've posted the actual proportions and procedure over on my recipe blog in a printable format ~


you can access it by clicking HERE.



If Chilatas sound like something you might like, I hope you'll make a batch and let me know what you think.


Once Upon a Plate <©> 2009











17 comments:

  1. Wow..what fabulous photos!! Each and every one!

    I will make this Mary:) For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari,
    I have Diana Kennedy's first book 'Cuisines of Mexico' (1972). I used it all the time as a reference. The 'Mangos Flameados' recipe I did for Cinco de Mayo comes from it!
    This nutty mixture sound very tasty and versatile. I can imagine using it on so many things. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! I just purchased Chipotle Powder last week because I needed it for a recipe I made. Now all I need to get are the pumpkin seeds & nuts! I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary your pics are gorgeous...as usual...
    This looks right up my alley!
    Not much cooking to speak of here at the moment...hopefully next week...
    L~xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I think I'd like this over veggies. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love it! I'm a big proponent of finishing touches and this is just perfect for my style of cooking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this looks terrific, but it is the pics that sold me~

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sounds absolutely fabulous! I must say, your photos are so fab too! Thanks so much for the reicpe. I'll try that.
    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chipotle is such an amazing ingredient. I love the idea of sprinkling this over dishes to give it that wonderful Mexican flavor. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I'm printing it out right this minute!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH.MY.GOD! I love you for posting this! this looks amazing!! I'm defenitely making this asap! love the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are beautiful!! I need to make this - it sounds like a great addition to salads. I can't wait to try it on other things as well. I'm thinking of all kinds of things now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does look so tasty! I love seasonings/toppings like this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOH now that looks like something we would like. I have all of Diane Kennedy's cookbooks. How did I miss this. Thanks Mary.

    Oh and have I told you lately how much I love your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH, that looks tasty as a condiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all of these ingredients...some of my favorites...I'll make this today. It sounds fantastic and your photos make me want to try it even more...very, very nice post.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's a fantastic condiment! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure we are going to love it!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner