Monday

Aromatic Stuffed Sweet Peppers



Prepared a little differently this time.
Use any raw, minced meat (or even veggies/grains if you prefer) for the stuffing.


If you know me, or have been following my blog for a while ~ you KNOW I am the kind of cook who loves to improvise, and quite often "wing-it" rather than follow a recipe exactly. 

This one is no exception.
I had a pound of good organic ground lamb, and some colorful bell peppers. I wanted to season the lamb a bit differently than I usually do. I saw Nigella Lawson's
Lamb Meatball Recipe (click)


and followed it almost exactly. Instead of the seminola, I used fresh bread crumbs, I also added some garam masala seasoning and a few flakes of dried hot chili pepper.






Rather than the traditional way of halving, or cutting tops from the peppers I sliced then into 3/4 to 1-inch "rings" and filled them with the lamb mixture, patted evenly then sprinkled lightly with more fresh crumbs.


I browned them very quickly in a little olive oil, stovetop ~ then transfered them to the oven to finish baking:









Hot from the oven I plated them atop a pool of warm Cumin-Yogurt Sauce.



To make the sauce; "Toast" the ground cumin in a small pan until it releases its fragrance, stir in a little whole milk Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of salt, stir until warmed through.
A shower of fresh mint chiffonade to finish the dish.




For a side I made cous cous, steeped in chicken broth with toasted pine nuts and plumped golden sultanas (raisins), with a squeeze of lemon.





If you don't care for lamb, I'm sure this would be delicious with other minced/ground raw meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken), or a combination of cooked vegs/grain that you would like.
If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :)
Leftovers are fabulous at room temperature, too!









8 comments:

  1. Yum! Thank you for sharing your talent. Your photos are so delicious! I'll try making this this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of peppers..and have never made them w/ lamb or sliced this way..leave it to you to teach me a new trick..even if I am an old doggie:) I I told you before:)Will is such a lucky guy..:)

    And we're lucky bloggers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had stuffed peppers in decades! I like your take on this recipe. It all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, your photos just keep getting better and better. I didn't think that was possible. I haven't seen better food photos anywhere on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They looks so beautiful andi ams usre they were delicous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lamb... what a unique way to "stuff" peppers... I think I like it more than a whole of half pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them in slices like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary those look justwonderful!
    Your pics are amazing!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner