Thursday

A Really Good Chicken Sandwich...




Of course you do not need a recipe for this ~ it's just a suggestion. But it's one of our favorites, change out whatever you like!






Here are the ingredients.
(Minus the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Monterey Jack Cheese slices, and the whole grain bread.) The spread in the little bowl is Best Foods/Hellman's Olive Oil Mayonnaise ~to which I've added a little fresh minced garlic; a quickie aioli. :)




I slice the chicken breast (halves) in half vertically so they fit on the bread more easily. And then slice them horizontally to make each breast portion thinner, so they marinate and cook faster.


It's the same marinade recipe I used for the SHRIMP I made for our Darling Bakers Cinco de Mayo event.

(Click to link to the marinade recipe)

The chicken can marinate for as little as 10 minutes, or up to an hour (longer than that the lime juice will begin to affect the texture of the chicken.)

This time I grilled the chicken on the stovetop *, after grilling I allow the chicken to rest (keeping it warm and loosely covered ~ while the bread toasts.

Then it is simply a matter of assembling the ingredients (in any order you choose.) :)

I had intended on including thinly sliced red onion and the avocado slices in the sandwich, but the chicken breasts were particularly large, so I served the avocado on the side and skipped the onion. Sometimes I swap out the baby spinach for arugula, fresh basil leaves, or almost other tender greens.



It's a FAST weeknight dinner, or a hearty lunch. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because of the abundant rainfall in the Pacific Northwest, outdoor grilling in the winter months can be a soggy experience :) But we still love grilled food all year round, so I've invested in a number of stovetop grills.

Here are a few of my favorites:




This is the one I reach for time and again for vegetables and small meals.





This one produces the most fabulous steaks, burgers and other meats. It's also very useful for grilling large quanitites of vegetables ~ we love grilled veggies, fabulous as side dishes, and as components in layered dishes, such as vegetarian lasagna for example. It's pre-seasoned, I love that ~ I've never had any problem with rusting. The only drawback is that it is rather heavy but it does produce the best char-grill marks = super flavor.





This compact grill pan, also by Lodge, produces the same great results as its big brother. It's also pre-seasoned, so its ready to use right out of the box (after a quick wash, of course!)






I like this one for its lighter weight, easy clean-up. The trade off between this version and the Lodge Cast Iron, above, is that searing ability is compromised because of the non-stick finish. I'm a bit hesitant to turn the heat up with this version ~ not a problem with the Lodge.








15 comments:

  1. Hi Mari! I appreciate your review of the stovetop grills. I've been wanting to buy one, but don't know which one to get. The big Lodge one has my name all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sandwiches on toast. This looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I shall check into these grills you show. The sandwich looks magazine photo worthy!
    Brenda
    http://cozylittlehouse.blogspot.com
    http://viewfromthepines.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have one of those sandwiches waiting for me after working in the garden!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think it was possible for your photos to get any better, but you've outdone yourself, Mari. Love the new look of your blog and your sandwich recipe, of course. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

    Happiest Mother's Day wishes from your jet lagged friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm psyched to give this a try. It looks and sounds delicious! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah! I love Chicken sandwiches and this one looks soo good.I even like the other kind:) One of my favorites! and I love quick aïoli too! Thank you Mary:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the info about the grills. I've been thinking I need one of these, and I'm never sure what to buy. It's great getting advice from someone who has used them. That sandwich looks soo good. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is my kinda good girl, now if only someone would read your blog and serve me! love the pics, just jumps right into my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures! I love a great chicken sandwich.

    I call the Best Foods & Garlic trick "fake-oli". The flavor is also elevated somewhat with the addition of fresh lemon juice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is one great looking sandwich! All of my favorite ingredients in one place. Could someone make me one of these, please?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one tasty looking chicken sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner