Wednesday

A Simple Country Christmas Tablescape


Welcome Friends, please come in and make yourselves at home.

Lots of pictures, and few words this time ~ the page may take a few moments to load. So thank you for your patience.





This time I've set a simple country table ~ comfortable and not at all fussy.




It didn't feel right to me to overdress the table, knowing there are some who are going without this year.


My thoughts are especially with those who have endured the loss of loved ones this year, those who have lost their homes, as well as those who have lost their jobs.







I thought this would be a good time to set a comfortable, cozy table ~ a place to draw loved ones near to celebrate what is truly important in life.








For the centerpiece I simply plunked some candy canes in a thin, plain beverage glass [CB2], placed it on a Barley twist pedestal [Southern Living at Home, from some years back.]


I clipped a few fragrant Douglas Fir branches from the property and placed them around, then placed a special vintage-style Christmas card from my dear friend,  Linda  and placed a glass cloche over all.









I covered the round walnut table with a tablecloth from Williams-Sonoma, and instead of place mats, I placed a snowy-white vintage German hand worked square linen table topper over the cloth.






In keeping with the theme of simplicity, I gathered just two of my favorite things to place on the table ~
this Limoges hand-painted Christmas ornament box . . . and an old, old brass-framed print I found in an antique store a few years ago.  I love the print; usually it is on the dresser in my bedroom.









For the place settings (from the tabletop - up) ~  I used round Czech platters for chargers [Nell Hill's several years ago], "Merry Christmas" plates, I believe those were from Home Depot a couple of years ago.









Next, my everyday white salad plates [Apilco-France, Williams-Sonoma].






Poinsettia plates [Williams-Sonoma, this season].










Vintage milk-glass compotes to finish the place settings. 










Flatware ~ Pottery Barn from the Savant Collection.
Napkins ~ Neiman-Marcus/Horchow.









My first set of crystal from my newlywed days, many, many years ago ~ by Rogaska; 'Gallia'

 
















To dress the chairs up a bit I draped the extra, matching crochet-trimmed napkins over the tops.









The little cast iron elf candle holders are from CB2, last year's collection. 






A closer look at the Madonna framed print ~
as we remember the Reason for the Season.







Thank you so much for stopping by today. 


 To all who celebrate,
I wish you a most cherished and blessed Christmas from our home to yours.





Please visit Between Naps on the Porch to find a list of all who are participating in Tablescape Thursday this week.


























40 comments:

  1. very nice mary, love the last picture. merry christas to you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Mari. Love the candle holders :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari, this is one of the most beautiful posts I've ever seen. So serene and lovely--I like the colors, the green apples. your stemware. I also enjoy putting things on the table such as photos. etc. Yours are meaningful to the season. Love your photography. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mari,
    Thank you for your sensitivity to those less fortunate this year. Our world is definately changing with our new administration. We all must keep the faith and perservere. Lovely tablescape! Merry Christmas!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mari,
    I agree with Podso- very beautiful!

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and blessings for the New Year.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that barley twist centerpiece.. that is amazing. I love your crystal and dishes.. A beautiful table. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some very beautiful pieces and you have pulled them all together to present a perfect looking holiday table. Thank you so much for sharing your table and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, your tablescape is stunning. Absolutely stunning.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUPER slick idea for the centerpiece! That is really, really sharp! I have seen the "Savant Collection" at Pottery Barn and yearned for it! It really looks great on your table!!! I wish you and your family the very, very best of this Christmas season. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari...I love the simple elegance of this table!

    Merry CHRISTmas!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your words say it all...it's not about what we have...it's about those who don't have!!! Beautiful simplicity...classic...and most of all gorgeous!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet in its simplicity. Very lovely. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is simply beautiful! I love all the elements you've pulled into this Table. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely table, Mari. Simple, yet elegant. So nice of you to think about those less fortunate - we should all be mindful and giving to those in need.

    As for your Home Depot find - who'd a thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think those poinsettia plates are just wonderful and would love to have some. The whole table is lovely, but my favorite part is the dish with the apple. That's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mari, as usual, you never disappoint. I really like what you've pulled together and the sentiment behind it. I've got to throw in 'great photos' too! Have a Merry Mari Christmas! XOXO :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your lovely tablescape design. Merry Christmas! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sweet and cozy. I bought the CB2 elves last year too! Did you happen to notice that they made them in red this year, and not the plane cast iron? I don't think they are as cute.
    I did not see those plates at our Williams Sonoma, but then again, I haven't been in lately. We have two managers there that are the pits, some time I should tell you about my adventures at my local WS.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOPs forgot to say that I love your crystal, you had great taste as a newlywed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So festive! What a lovely table this would be to dine at. Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mari...love this table setting. I love barley twist pieces..so you know I love your centerpiece. Your tables are always so artistic and beautiful...always know I'm in for a treat when I visit. :)
    Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty and serene.. Merry Christmas to you and yours Mary~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tablescape made me smile - very beautiful. I especially loved the poinsettia plates, compotes, your newlywed crystal and your two favorite things.

    Christmas blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your tables are always so artfully beautiful! Love the stemware and the candle holders! Thank you for remembering those less fortunate this year. Wishing you a blessed Christmas!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  27. A beautiful tablescape. What a welcome for those who'll join you!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  28. A beautiful table setting. My favorite thing is the repro of the holy family by Michaelangelo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your tablescape Mari~~so pretty!!

    Merry Christmas and Happy Tablescape Thursday~~

    Blessings to you,
    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous Mary!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Can you believe that I have the brandy snifters to match your crystal? A wedding gift...almost 30 years ago!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very beautiful Mari, simple yet elegant... lovely
    May your holiday season be blessed with peace, love and joy.
    Sending you my heart full wishes,
    With joy which never ends
    A very Merry Christmas
    And
    Happy New Year
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish to you and your family a very merry Christams...hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Merry Christmas! The poinsettia plates are lovely and the milk glass compotes remind me of my mother and grandmother. Didn't everyone have one or two of those? They look fresh and new in the tablescape. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Merry Christmas...I simply love everything about this table. I would be proud to serve my home cooked meals at this table filled with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Where oh where can I get the poinsettia plates? I think they would be perfect for my Christmas themed birthday party. Please tell me they are Pottery Barn and not your grandmothers. Please let me know, thanks. http://www/BirthdayPartyBabble.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Mari,
    Love, love, love your table scape. Especially love that you have described all the items and where you found them.
    Thanks so much for a beautiful post.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was so enamored with the plates, I totally missed where it says "Poinsettia plates [Williams-Sonoma, this season]" in very large lettering under them! All I can say in my defense is that I've been living on Christmas coolies for days now.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh thank you for your VERY sweet comments everyone! I'm so happy you liked this very simple table setting (the older I become... it seems I'm liking LESS, rather than more.)

    Beth, you made me giggle!! And I'll bet you can find those plates at a deep discount now that the Christmas season is over. ;)

    Happy, happy New Year everyone!! xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Couldn't even get "cookies" out properly. I just checked and they are all sold out! So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner