Wednesday

Little Fried Fresh Peach Pies

Oh, these little darlings are dangerously delicious! I will only make them if I can give most of them away.

The recipe is from a wonderful cookbook "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea" by Martha Hall Foose, the executive chef of the Viking Cooking School.


The filling is simply 2 cups of fresh or frozen peaches, a little brown sugar, ground allspice, cider vinegar, with a bit of cornstarch and lemon juice. The filling is briefly cooked, then cooled while the pastry is blended.
And a lovely, tender pastry dough it is. Baking powder in the dough makes the finished product puff beautifully while shallow-frying in canola oil. After allowing the pies to drain on a cooling rack they are not oily tasting at all. They can then be sprinkled or rolled in cinnamon sugar.



Of course you can just cut the rolled dough with a knife into desired shapes, then crimp to seal the filling, or use a dumpling maker, but I favor this little "Tart Master" as recommended by the late cook book author, Lee Bailey. They make quick work of either savory or sweet little pies/tarts.

I bought mine a few years back from:
"Kitchen Connection, Inc."
8405 45th St., Lyons, IL
United States
Phone: (708) 442-5232.


I haven't checked, but they still may be available. I haven't been able to locate a website for the company, so it would be best to telephone.

Update: A very kind reader let me know that The Pampered Chef, Ltd. also offers a similar mold/press as the one in the photos. Thank you so much for the information!

3 comments:

  1. These look so delicious!! Wow!

    Someone just gave me one of these little gadgets, I think she got it from Pampered Chef. I use them for cute sandwiches for my kids, not realizing what they can really be used for! I'll have to experiment with it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aggie, I had no idea that Pampered Chef offers those little cutters/molds. What a great idea to use them for sandwiches, I never thought of that but I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little pies are beautiful! I love peaches and can't wait to try these this summer. Perhaps some chery or blueberries ones in the meantime :)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner