Friday

Pork Roasted the way the Tuscans Do




I've posted about this method of preparing pork tenderloin before... you can see the previous post by clicking HERE.
~*~*~*~*~
This is my entry for this week's Saturday Blog Showcase.
I hope you'll please join us!

Hosted on alternate Saturdays by my friends Ann, of Thibeault's Table and Lori, of All That Splatters.
(clickable links)



It's Ann's turn to host this week ~ please click HERE to read more about Saturday Blog Showcase, and to visit this week's participants.
~*~*~*~*~
I have been a fan of Joanne Weir (click) for quite a while, and I was so pleased when our friend Monique introduced me to this recipe a couple of years ago.


It's absolutely delicious! Don't feel locked into this combination of herbs, you can play around with it and add any herbs or flavoring ingredients you like. (Pesto, Tapenade, sundried tomatoes, etc.) It's great meal at home, but also perfect picnic fare.


For a PRINTABLE copy of the recipe, you can find it on my recipe blog by clicking HERE.




Pork Roasted the Way the Tuscan Do ~
Joanne Weir's recipe
4 servings .
Joanne says: "This is a wonderful and easy technique for pork roasted inside a baguette with wonderful fresh herbs and of course garlic and olive oil! I'm sure this will become a favorite of yours too - it's great to bring on a picnic lunch!"




Preheat oven to 375-degrees (F)

2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage
2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen (My notes: I omit because it is not readily available)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and sinewy tissue
1 loaf crusty baguette
Optional ~ about 3 to 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Method:
Mince sage, rosemary, pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and fennel pollen (if using) together, spread out on the work surface for later, the sear the pork as follows:

In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Place the pork in the pan and cook, turning occasionally until it is golden brown on all sides (this will take about 8 to 10 minutes.)

If you you like, at this point you can smear the seared pork with Dijon mustard before rolling in the herbs. (This step adds a bit of moistness to the meat, which I prefer.)

Roll the pork in the herb mixture and set aside. Next cut, or slit the baguette in half the long way and scoop out most of the soft insides. Brush the inside of the baguette with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Nestle the pork on the inside of the baguette so that the pork is well enclosed.

Trim off the excess ends of the bread. With kitchen twine tie the bread to secure the pork at 1 to 2 inch intervals.
,
Place the pork on a baking sheet and roast until done, 145 to 155°F (when instant read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin) About 25 to 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow to rest 10 minutes.

Remove the strings and cut into slices. It's wonderful warm, and is flavorful enough to serve at room temperature as well.


.





All stuffed and tied, ready for the oven. No need to be particular as to how you tie it, the aim is to keep the pork securely in the bread while roasting.







Easy to slice and serve, and the mustard makes the pork moist and tender.










I served it with a simple fresh salad, I particularly like it with herb roasted mixed vegetables or ratatouille.







For a printable copy click HERE to go to my recipe blog.

I'm also participating in Foodie Friday ~ please stop by our host's blog ~


Designs by Gollum to see all kinds of visual treats! Thanks for hosting us Michael.



Thank you for stopping by today!













46 comments:

  1. Mari,
    I had this dish in a trattoria in NY YEARS ago!! Oh my gosh, you've brought back a memory. I will be making this within the week-thank you so much
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done this with a puff pastry crust but this would sure be easy.
    Looks delish. Does the bread get pretty hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...so beautiful and delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful. Bella~Bella!

    I am hanging onto this recipe for sure. Grazie~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mari, your blog tends to always make me weak with hunger. We are having houseguests next week--a couple that we were in a gourmet group with when we lived in Texas--and I'm going to serve this. Thank you once again for tantalizing my taste buds and sending me into the kitchen. I'll share my kudos with you after the feast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful presentation, Mari. Pork loins are so versatile. I'd love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an AWESOME!!! way to make a pork roast. THANKS!!! for sharing your LOVELY!!! meal.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to try this! Doesn't the bread get burned? Yours doesn't seem to have, but why not?
    Copying now and trying at first opportunity. This would make a super idea for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always looking for a good pork roast recipe :)What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to try this again really soon...
    Gorgeous pics Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful, simply ingenuity and something I want to make and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mari,

    This is wonderful - I cannot wait to try it. Your blog is just outstanding.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fantastic! I am impressed with the presentation of it in the baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh but I wish I had all the ingredients here to make this for tonight. Pollen? I learn something new in cooking every time I read a blog:) I think I want to have a dinner party after seeing this recipe but who should I invite? I need to invite someone who will be blown away from the presentation. Thanks for sharing.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your very kind words, friends!!

    Barbara, the tenderloin is initially seared (on the stove top) until it's almost cooked through, then put in the bread and finished in the oven. Personally, I LOVE that delicious bread as much as the pork, its really flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mari, this is quite impressive! I know that the pork tenderloin is delicious, but placing it into a crusty baguette ~ which will only get better with all those dripping ~ puts this in a league of its own.

    Totally brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun and delicious looking presentation. Your photos always have me salivating. You manage to capture just the perfect light.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is definitely on the menu next week. It reminds me of a roulade.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is gorgeous!!!
    I do prepare my loin with all the spices you used but never in a crust... what an elegant presentation a true masterpiece...

    thanks so much I am going to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow... I am speechless.... That is a gorgeous meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mine was never as beautiful:)Oh that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Molto bene. This is a beautiful presentation for a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful presentation! This would be the star of any dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Love the creativity behind this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, this looks delicious and so pretty! What a wonderful dish for guests. Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Mary, thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to make this for a long time. I just hope when I do that it looks half as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! Do you think out your pictures ahead of time?? They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A beautiful and striking dish indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mari, this is stunning. What a fabulous idea! I've bookmarked this recipe, and I'll let you know when I make it.

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is something new to me and it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love, love LOVE your blog. I just founded today and had to become a follower asap.

    I wish a very happy weekend to you!

    - Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  32. My hubby absolutely LOVES pork loin so I will definitely be trying this method! Thanks so much, it looks so GOOD but EASY! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this dish! It's been several months since I've made it. I ordered the fennel pollen online - it does add a slightly floral flavor that I love. Mine didn't look as beautiful as yours, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My DH loves pork loin, and he has always prepared it on the outdoor grill. We have never had it when it was still pink on the inside, because thought that was a sign of being undercooked. Will try it your way, which looks delish, and will start using my meat thermometer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mari, this is a stunner. Oh, I want to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks heavenly...I saw when Jain made it and I realy need to try it....ofcourse I couldn't tie it that way you did if the Boss stood over me with a gun to my head!!....we love pork and we love bread...what a wonderful looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Mari,
    Simply amazing. I've emailed this to so many people and can't wait to try this over the next weekend. Beautiful photos, I"m so envious. Thanks.
    Steve
    http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I can only imagine how amazing that bread tastes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank is so cool and easy! I bet the bread tastes amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an awesome recipe! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, this looks AMAZING. I am going to try to tackle this recipe this weekend...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is my first time here. Love your blog and photos! I will visit more often.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! The photography in the new post is stunning! Nice update! I will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner