Sunday

Raised Overnight Waffles



Leave it Barbara and Marion Cunningham to share one of the best versions of Belgian-style waffles ever ~

I've tried a few different recipes, with mixed results. But this recipe succeeded in surpassing my expectations, producing light, crisp (and non-flaccid) Belgian-style waffles.



I like the fact that the batter is mixed the night before and allowed to rise overnight, by morning the batter will have risen, then fallen to it's original volume. At that point you mix in two egg yolks, and fold in two softly whipped egg whites, and you're ready to make some of the BEST Belgian-style waffles. It is a wonderful recipe.


With this particular recipe I baked the waffles on the highest heat setting, and after cooking the first waffle (which was not so crisp) I ignored the waffle makers timer-bell (indicating the waffle was done) because steam was still billowing out. Mama, (or was it Dad?!) taught me to wait until steam stops before opening the machine to assure the waffles are cooked and crispy ~ I shouldn't have trusted the bell, and so I consider it merely a reminder that the waffle is "almost" done. The waffle was still delicious, just not as crispy as we like. Allowing the remainder of the waffles to cook another minute or so (until the steam stopped) produced the best results.




I used the Waring Pro Waffle maker as show below on the left, it works great, especially for one or two people. Belgian waffles are best when eaten within minutes of making them, in fact Marion recommends holding them for no more than 10 minutes in a warm oven before serving. Leftover waffles can be frozen; to rewarm and re-crisp, place directly on oven rack in a 400*(F) oven for about 10 minutes.






If I had a larger family, I would definitely invest in the double-waffle maker (on the right), to keep those eager diners happy!


If you would like a printable copy of the recipe, you can find it HERE on the Once Upon a Plate ~ The Recipes blog.


Thank you for any comments you would like to share, I always enjoy hearing what's on your mind.









13 comments:

  1. I drooled over Barbara's waffles and now yours. I mentioned them to my husband (the waffle maker) but he decided to use, I think, Mark Bittman's recipe and they were good but didn't really rise. I think I'm going to take matters into my own hands because these are just too tempting.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try these..I have the flip pro and love it..Thanks mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...must try these. Sunday night is waffle night at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know to wait until *after* the steam quits :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I have been looking for an excuse to buy a waffle maker and I think I just found it.

    Honestly Mary, those are the most perfect waffles I've ever seen.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mari, I just adore Belgian waffles! I can't wait to give this recipe a try. My Son is coming home for a visit this weekend and I will cetainly make this for him!
    Thanks and yummy!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted a waffle maker and these raised waffles are just what I had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look irresistible! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Now, I've just got to dig out the waffle maker. I know it's around here somewhere. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment! I hope you like these as much as we did. Have a great week everyone. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been looking for a great yeast waffle recipe! Thanks for your perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. C'est le régal de mes enfants.... Hummm!!
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mari~Waffles are my favorite, but this recipe takes them to a whole new level. I will be trying your recipe at a brunch for my daughter in-loves b-day. I've no doubt they'll be a hit topped with Trader Joes all-maple syrup...her favorite
    Thanks foe sharing.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner