Wednesday

Chèvre Crackers and Fresh Herb Salsa


If you're looking for a somewhat healthier option for a snack, or accompaniment to your favorite beverage, you might like this one. It is at once, very fresh, a little tangy and the flavor is derived from the herbs you choose.  No heat at all in this one.




I am drawn back again and again --out of the many-- to one of my most beloved cookbooks; "Christina's Cookbook ~ Stories from a Northwest Island Kitchen" ~ and this is yet one more of the fresh and delicious recipes from Christina's book.



Christina Orchid owned, operated and was chef of "Christina's" a well known and enormously popular restaurant on Orcas Island, Washington for nearly 30 years. She sold the restaurant a few years ago, you can read more about it from the "Seattle Times" Here and Here.


I love Christina's style of cooking ~ 
 For this fresh appetizer or snack, you can cut the goat cheese crackers into any shape you like.


Taking into considering the emerald green of the salsa, and since we're approaching St. Patrick's Day ~ well, you know... where I decided to take this one. :)







Holding to Christina's philosophy of fresh and local (and preferably organic), this is a salsa that you can make from ingredients that are local to your area. 



It calls for 2 cups of almost any kind of greens and herbs. I used Upland Cress, Flat-leaf Italian Parsley, Cilantro, finely diced, (seeded) cucumber, scallions, a clove or two of garlic; finely minced, and any fresh herbs that are available ~ fresh mint, thyme, oregano, marjoram, chervil, etc.  

Simply stir those up with some finely grated lemon zest, two tablespoons of good olive oil, and two tablespoons of vinegar (Christina uses red wine vinegar ~ I use white wine vinegar) and a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper. So simple, so good, and so healthy!

This salsa would be delicious spooned over grilled chicken, beef or seafood, as well.








The crackers ~  I like that you can shape the crackers any way you like; cut them with a knife, or use shaped cutters.

 Since we're approaching St. Patrick's Day I couldn't resist choosing a Shamrock shaped cookie cutter.  

Bonus: This dough is VERY easy to work with, and rolls out easily. (I didn't have much luck re-rolling the scraps, so I just baked off the "in-between" pieces, and they taste just as good...  not "company" worthy as far as presentation goes, but believe me, nobody here complained.)







If you would like a printable copy of the recipe, you can find it on "Once Upon a Plate ~ The recipes". 




Thanks for stopping by today, and any comments you would like to share.  I read and appreciate each one.
xo ~mari








10 comments:

  1. Mari, this herb salsa looks so fresh. The recipe sounds similar to Chimichurri, with the exception of cucumbers, of course.

    And it would be perfect for Saint Patrick's Day, or anytime, really.

    I can't wait for my herb garden to rise again. I know this would make my taste buds sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and a real treat for St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful combo! Loving the shape of the cookies, and that bowl of green salsa is pure goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I've not made crackers before. I'd suspect that Crisco could be substituted for the Lard, could it not? Perhaps? Such a cute idea. I'm wondering if I'll have time to do this before our annual party on Sunday. Thanks, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this right now...looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will go to the recipes..My husband's bday is soon and we are going to my daughters..your crackers etc will be part of it..I'll never forget a couple of years ago we went there for dinner..she had a great appie..

    It was yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in time for St. Patrick's Day. They not only look adorable but I am sure they taste exceptional too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments everybody.

    Sol, that is exactly what I thought when I first tasted it...Chimichurri, (no wonder I love this one so much!)

    Pattie, I'm sure Crisco would make a good substitute.

    Monique, Happy Birthday to J ... and I hope you find this one to be a 'keeper'... there are not many herbs in the herb garden this time of year so I used a lot of flat-leaf parsley, and the Upland cress. Also cilantro (we like it, but many people do not.) I think it must react differently on our taste receptors!

    Thank you again, everyone for taking the time to leave your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mari, I was so intrigued by Christina's story, after reading the articles, that I've ordered her cookbook. I can't wait to try out some of the recipes.

    The salsa looks amazing and I really love the shamrock shaped crackers. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner