Friday

Enchiladas Verdes (Mild, Cali-Mex style)



If you want an authentic Mexican recipe for Enchiladas Verdes... this is NOT it. 

However it's a very good version ~ especially if you have family members or friends who are tender-mouthed. And you can always make it spicier with some fresh salsa if you like. 

I adapted the recipe from Sunset Magazine "Food Processor Cook Book", circa 1978. Using the food processor, it goes together quickly and can be made several hours ahead, then baked at serving time ~ I usually serve these, along with a salad as a main course but they make a nice side dish for simple grilled meats, too.






The original recipe called for a can of condensed cream of chicken soup ~ but I make a simple Bechamel (white) sauce, with half milk & half chicken stock, instead. It goes together in minutes and tastes a lot better, imo. You can almost make it in the time it takes to open the can and spoon the glop out. :D

The original recipe contained only jack cheese and sauteed onions, however I usually add cooked, shredded chicken to half of the batch to satisfy those who want meat. Simply omit the chicken and stick with the plain Bechamel if you want the recipe to be vegetarian-friendly. You can garnish with cilantro sprigs, sliced green onions, tomato or avocado wedges, additional sour cream or salsa if you like.

A printable copy of the recipe is available on Once Upon a Plate ~ The Recipes and if you try this one, I hope you like it ~ Cheers!


Note: If you're looking for a true Mexican recipe for Enchiladas Verdes, I recommend THIS one by Diana Kennedy. 





11 comments:

  1. Quick and easy...I would love to sit down to a serving, this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ask me, it sounds like your version is better than the original! ...And I love that you used the word glop :).

    Hope you have a great weekend,
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm, good! I love any kind of mexican food and this really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm...now I better go and have some breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good with the spinach. I'll have to remember this when we get our garden going this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Authentic or not this is a dish I would love to try !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this version much better, looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your comments! I love to read them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a problem with the background color ... or is it my monitor ... again :( ? Either way, great site!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner