Tuesday

Broccoli-Mushroom Quiche and a Tip



One of the things I like about quiche is that it is a great way to use up bits of vegetables or meats that may be hanging around in the fridge. I had a little broccoli and mushrooms on hand so I quickly blanched then chopped the broccoli, and sauteed the sliced mushrooms in a little butter.


I used a traditional recipe for quiche; eggs, cream or half & half, cheese and the cooked veggies.





To assure a thoroughly baked bottom crust I usually partially bake the pastry crust, then add the filling and finish baking.
I also want to share another tip I learned years ago that you may find useful. Maybe you already know about this technique, but at the time I did not.






It believe it was almost 30 years ago... I had purchased a quiche pan from Williams-Sonoma, and included was a W-S recipe for broccoli quiche. The directions instructed to brush the inside of the pastry with Dijon mustard before adding the filling.
I tried it, and found that I loved the subtle flavor this added so I've been using this method with many quiches ever since. It works particularly well with most any kind of ham or bacon quiche.




I usually reserve a little of the quiche ingredient(s) for garnishing the baked quiche; it serves a dual purpose!


It lets everyone know what kind of quiche it is, and ...




in the event your quiche doesn't slice perfectly you can use the garnish as camouflage. :)




Quiches are perfect for brunch, lunch, dinner or snacks. Served warm from the oven or at room temperature ~ and fun for a picnic, too.




With fruit or greens salad it makes one of my favorite meals.





Refrigerate leftovers, and they can be microwaved, or heated in a 350*(F) oven until heated through. I like the radiant or convection oven best for reheating, the crust tastes better to me than when it is microwaved... but I wouldn't turn down a slice warm from the microwave.


Use your favorite recipe for the quiche, but if you don't have one there are plenty available by doing an internet search.


Thanks for stopping by today, and for any comment you might like to leave. I always LOVE to hear from my readers! xo














29 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these helpful tips to making quiche. I love the idea of adding mustard to the pan to flavor the quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I like quiche and I have not made it in such a long time. Thanks for reminding me! And thanks for the great tip about brushing the crust with Dijon Mustard! I will try that. I have lots of bits of Ham leftover from Christmas in the freezer and lots of broccoli. Sounds like dinner for us tomorrow night! Your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want quiche, and I haven't had it in ages! Thanks for the tip about the Dijon, I haven't heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good and not just because I am hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary I saw that tip on an old cooking show:) I love the flavor of Dijon on the crust~
    C'est beau Mary,tout est beau chez toi.....Bon Appétit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may make a mini quiche for dinner one night this week. Yours is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I used to know that about the mustard. But I'd long since forgotten it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips! Your quiche sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, does this look delish-and healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good...I am so making quiche this week and will try the Dijon idea...i never heard that and it sounds wonderful! You have made me so hungry for it!
    I have just those leftover veggies in the fridge...
    Thanks for the inspiration Mary!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mari,
    Your quiche looks perfect! Thank you for the tips on the crust. I will have to make a quiche soon.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love quiche. I also pre-bake my crust a bit before filling. The Dijon tip is new to me. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm this looks delicious! What fabulous photos you shared, and thanks for the mustard tip. I'll give this a try. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome Mari! I love those mushrooms on top!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my it looks so good. I tend to forget about quiche but made one a couple of Sundays ago and it was delicious. Next time I'll make this one and yummy on the dijon.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quiche looks wonderful, I'd love to make it but oh the calories.......I'm hoping you will post a healthier version for us. Pretty please?!?
    You have such a good understanding of food and any help on making recipes tasty and healthy will be greatly appreciated. thanks........

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for passing along that great tip - I hadn't ever heard that one before. Will definitely try it.

    Fabulous photos!!

    :)
    ButterYum
    PS - Maille beat Grey Poupon in a taste test recently. (Cook's Illustrated???)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just recently found your blog, and I absolutely love it. I am in the Autumn of my life, and I became a vegetarian about a year ago. It takes a lot of thought to think up a vegetarian dinner every night (esp after working all day!), so your wonderful quiche is a great idea - one I used to use but had laid aside - AND - I can't wait to try the mustard idea. Thank you for your blog and your beautiful photos -

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quiche is a quick, easy meal and a wonderful way to use up bits of this and that. Brushing the pastry with mustard is a great idea with would definitely enhance the flavors in the filling. Thanks for the excellent tip, Mari.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing blog! Great recipes and Awesome photos

    Simply Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the mustard on the crust! I haven't made a quiche in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quiche recipe on www.thepioneerwoman.com is the best! Fabulous and looks fantastic. I've made 4 of them lately. I love quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary, I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful quiche. Your photos are spectacular.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Je suis bouche bée tellement tu fais de Magnifiques photos!! Tout semble si bon dans ta jolie cuisine:)

    Je t'ajoute à mes favoris!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous and delicious looking quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a tasty looking quiche. Your photos always make me crave every last crumb! And I like your combination.

    I have always done both of your tips. I also partially bake the pie crust for my pumpkin pie, since that one seem to get soggier than most.

    Thanks Mari...Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you brush the mustard on when you prebake the crust a bit or prebake it and then add the mustard before you pour in the filling?
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  28. You food just wants to jump off the screen (and into my mouth!!) YUM!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner