Friday

Kalbi Beef Ribs





Kalbi Ribs are a Korean method of preparing beef short ribs which have been cut across the bone into approximately 1/4-inch thick sections.
This cut is also called "Flanken-style short ribs".


The meat is marinated in a soy-sauce based marinade; very well seasoned with garlic, green onions, sugar, and sesame oil. I also add a little dry (not sweet) cocktail sherry to the marinade.


After a few hours (or overnight) the ribs are removed from the marinade and grilled over a medium-hot grill.


My Korean friends usually place the grilled meat inside a crispy lettuce leaf (such a romaine) along with a small scoop of hot white rice, a little spicy red bean paste [known as gochichang]. They are usually garnished with a few slivers of raw or grilled garlic, sesame seeds, and slivers of fresh green onion.


Most of the time I just cut the ribs into one-rib bone segments, with the rice and condiments on the side . Cut them with a knife and fork, simply pick up with chop sticks, or serve as finger food.



They make a wonderful little appetizer or party nibble at a casual gathering, too.
When I make these for a party, my meat-eating friends gobble them up. No matter how many I make there never seem to be enough ~ everyone loves them. (Serve with napkins!)


I really don't use a written recipe as I've made the same recipe for years, but the one I make is nearly identical to THIS one on the NPR website.




Some like the marinade for Kalbi ribs a little on the sweeter side, some like to make it spicy, but that one is an excellent recipe you can tweak it to suit your own taste. As I mentioned I always add a little Dry, that is non-sweet, Cocktail Sherry as that is how my Korean friends taught me. (Just make sure you do not use cooking sherry, which is usually of inferior quality, and also it has salt added.) :p
If you try this version of Kalbi ribs, I hope you love them too.
Thank you for stopping by, and I hope you have a good weekend.
********
My heart is heavy. I'm sure most of us will have our prayers, thoughts, (and donations) going to the people of Haiti during this horrific disaster. xo










25 comments:

  1. Kalbi is my favorite Korean food! (I'm Korean :)) Your kalbi looks incredible. Mmmm now I'm craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, does this ever look GOOD! YUM YUM YUM Fabulous recipe, and your photos make this look irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mari,

    What a delicious recipe! I love this style of short ribs. I may try this my Super Bowl gathering.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a word Mari ~ Spectacular! These ribs look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had breakfast yet and I wish I had these right now. They look so good and the photos are killing me!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious. Another addition to my ever-growing 'to-try' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of these but they sound a look just delicious. I'd opt to prepare mine on the spicy side :) Off to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous ribs and gorgeous photos. You are quite talented. The photos are amazing. This is my first visit but I'll definitely be back for more.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ribs look fabulous. I love soy sauce and a bit of honey along with the rest of your ingredients for a tasty marinade!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari, these ribs look delicious. Thanks for posting this for us, along with the gorgeous photos. I'm bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ribs look fantastic! And your pictures are like the ones I read from the gourmet magazines. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have obsessing over ribs like this lately. They look so incredibly good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these. Make mine spicy please. I'll clean up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter lives in Seoul, South Korea and I wonder if she has ever made these. We were just Skypeing this morning (14 hour time difference) and she was making Tyler Florence's beef stew. To be able to share cultures through food is such a joy. Thanks for sharing, I'll send this post to her....and I'd love to try it as well!

    Thanks Mari, as usual for your grab the appetite pics...just stunning.

    Cheers.....Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ilove Korean Barbecue and often wondered what was in their seasoning so I really appreciate this post. Thanks...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. dang its looking good here, from the pulled pork to the mounds of fries, anni dinner and now this... and i am just heading in to eat cheerios for dinner... wrong time to visit!

    thanks for popping in today, i hope you will grab a book and join in on the 30th, it really is fun cooking the books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Staggeringly gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Korean BBQ is one of my favorites, I can eat this everyday. I'll have to try this recipe, it looks exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried to send you an email, but it bounced back. Would you email me at foodiewife@gmail.com? I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, which led me to your blog-- and I am inlove! It's gorgeous! I had a question for you, if you'd be kind enough to email me.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. MY GOODNESS. this looks gorgeous dear!
    my dad is a big fan of ribs.
    im sure he'll love this.
    maybe one day i'll make one as good as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're amazing. This is amazing. Just look at the charred bits and the glossy gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always order Kalbi when I go out and I love the idea of making it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning photos. Love the glossy marinade/sauce.....and the grill marks. Nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice succulent ribs...same as Dakgalbi?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner