Monday

A more nutritious version of Moomie's Legendary Sandwich Buns



We're not consuming much bread these days ~ although no food is forbidden, we're just making wiser choices.

When we do eat bread I like it to be as nutritious as possible. I've been making Moomie's Sandwich buns for years but I've set out to revise the recipe to make it as healthy as possible, and this combination is my first try.




I eliminated the white flour entirely, instead used a combination of whole wheat white flour, whole wheat flour, dark rye flour and flax meal to equal the 3 1/4 cups flour in the original recipe. I also swapped out the butter with olive oil, substituted the sugar with small amount of molasses, used egg substitute instead of a whole egg and reduced the salt in the recipe. Mindful of portion control I made the buns about a third of the size of regular hamburger buns.



During the last rise I brushed the bun tops with egg substitute and sprinkled some with caraway seeds, and the others with an Artisan seed blend.



We really liked this revamped recipe, it produces a much denser and fuller bodied bun than the original which we enjoyed.

If you would like a printable copy of the revised recipe you can find it on my recipe blog by clicking HERE.


The reworked recipe also makes delicious soft-baked pretzels; I'll share them next time. :) :) :)


Have a Healthy and Delicious day!















5 comments:

  1. I've copied the recipe. This sounds and looks awesome. Love the idea of a healthier bread. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the original recipe copied to make one day and these look so delicious I might have to make them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you reg ones..I make them all the time now.. These will be my next ones..They're gorgeous Mary!You really are a star student.What wonderful care you are giving W.
    Bless Your Heart~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try the revamped recipe. I love bread, and this would be a nice treat in that department. As always, I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look fabulous Mary! Have you tried baking with Agave syrup instead of the sugar? I have not yet, but plan on it...
    Love the pics....I can taste them through the screen!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner