Sunday

Mushroom and Bacon Salad




Years ago, back in the day before personal computers, my mother and I would clip good-sounding recipes from the weekly food section in our local newspaper. This is one of the hundreds that we saved, really simple to make (you don't really even need a recipe). When I make any of these old recipes from the newspaper I am reminded yet again how much I miss Mom. *sigh*

Not content to leave the recipe as it was (the original was a bit bland for my palate now) I've tweaked it slightly over the years to make it a little more flavorful. 

 The ingredients are sliced mushrooms (white or brown), green onions (I used chives this time), olive oil, lemon juice (or your favorite vinegar), a little Worcestershire sauce, salt, freshly ground black pepper, a little sugar for balance and Dijon Mustard. Right before serving it is garnished with crisp bacon pieces. I add a few crushed pink peppercorns as well.  

 Any time of year it makes a very nice first course, or a light lunch or dinner and can be made a little heartier by adding some cubed or crumbled cheese (most any kind you like), cooked chicken, shrimp, or beef. Vine ripe tomatoes are another flavorful addition in the summer. You may also add a sliced hard cooked egg along with the bacon at the last moment.

The original recipe suggested slicing the mushrooms and tossing them with the vinaigrette, allowing the flavors to meld for several hours or overnight, then adding the crisp bacon just before serving. Usually I just make it and allow the mushrooms to marinate for 30 minutes to 4 hours, stirring once or twice to distribute the vinaigrette evenly.  I prefer the texture of the mushrooms using the shorter marinade time.

You can serve it up on individual salad plates spooned over Romain lettuce leaves, and it's also very pretty served in a glass serving bowl, that way each diner can help themselves to the amount they want.


If this sounds appealing to you and you would like the recipe, you'll find it over on my recipe blog.


Thank you for stopping by today friends!


10 comments:

  1. Your salad looks wonderful! I love mushrooms and this looks like it would be delicious.

    My mom was quite the recipe clipper, too. I am going through her things and it is so hard to part with any of them. Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this salad sounds amazing and I am sooooooooo happy to see you posting again. Whatever you post I just LOVE. Welcome back my friend and I do mean my FREEND!!!!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welllllll, I did mispell my FRIEND but I am overwhelmed to see you posting on your blog again.Welcome back.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see your post, Sis. It seemed so much simpler then...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous salad. This would make a fantastic lunch or a light dinner. I've pinned it for future reference. We love our salads!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see a post:) It looks so good..i miss my mommy too..
    Kindred spirits:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I'm thrilled to see you posting again. Missed you.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miss Merry, thank you for the nice words . . . I completely understand about missing your beloved mom. xo

    Hi Sweet Carolyn, Thank you! I owe you an email ~ you've been on my mind all weekend.

    Hi Bro, thanks for stopping by! (hugs) They sure were simpler times ~ wonder what Mom & Dad would think of all of the technology . . . Hi & hugs to Kathie.

    So good to see you Sam ~ I've been out of the loop and not blogging much. If you try the salad I hope you love it ~ do taste and adjust to your own liking, that's what I did.

    Ahh, Ms. Magical, I've missed you so much! It's supposed to be 100 degrees (F) here today, and 106 (!!!) on Wednesday. After my errands in town I'm staying indoors and will attempt to catch up on on the blog posts I've missed. xoxo

    Hi Ann!! Thank you... and WOW you have been cooking and baking up some particularly FINE looking meals lately (I peeked in on facebook this morning ~ yum!) If a place ever goes up for sale in your neighborhood, please let me know. I would consider moving just to be one of your lucky neighbors. :)

    Thanks again for your kind comments friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have no ideahow thrilled I am to see you post! I have not been arund much either...dealing with dome issues myself, but still missing you so much!
    Gorgeous post Mary!
    L xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda! So good to be in touch with you again, sometimes life just gets in the way of fun, yes? ~ I think of you often. ((hugs)) Sweet girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner