Monday

Cannellini Hummus with Baked Won Ton Crisps




I love Garbanzo bean hummus, but I think I like Cannellini bean hummus even more.



This version is a little more figure friendly as I reduce the olive oil and omit the Tahini (sesame seed paste), but add more lemon juice and minced garlic, and a tablespoon or two of water to thin the dip to the right consistency, a couple of dashes of Tabasco, or other hot sauce if you like...


I make it in the food processor (or blender), just use your favorite hummus recipe and substitute Cannellini beans for a change. Just before serving I like to sprinkle with ground Sumac and a drizzle of olive oil to finish.





I usually use pita bread for dipping, either warmed or toasted but this time I tried a version of won ton crisps, baked.




I spotted the recipe in a Diabetic magazine recently ~ and they are so easy to make!







Line a baking sheet with parchment (for easy clean up), spray with olive oil then place the won ton wrappers in a single layer with a little space between each, like so:




Spray the tops with a light even spritz of olive oil, sprinkle with herbs, seeds, Parmesan cheese, garlic, etc. ~ whatever you like and bake in a preheated 350* (F) oven until lightly browned and crisp.
In my oven it usually takes about 12 to 14 minutes ~ but check at 10 minutes and keep an eye on them as ovens vary and they can go from "almost done" to TOAST within moments.




Remove from oven, sprinkle with a little coarse salt if you like, then allow to cool, can be stored in an airtight container for a few days. They are very good! They are a fine munchie all by themselves, but are sturdy enough for thick dips as well.







Definitely one of our favorite healthier snacks~
If you try either of these, I hope you like them as much as we do.





Thank you for stopping by to visit today! xo ~m








17 comments:

  1. Not one single thing I can eat (seeds!)...but how I love to look and remember! :) Delicious!! Wonderful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stained glass Wontons..I too love Hummus.It can be my whole meal.:) Great pics as always Mary~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your photos today is like looking into my cupboards! I have the same dishes. Pilluyvant gratin dish and Crate & Barrel glass dish? Yes? Beautiful, Mari.

    I make a cannellini dip, too - the cannellini, garlic, lemon, olive oil, and lots of fresh parsley. I usually serve seasoned pita chips with it, but I love the idea of the baked wonton wrappers. I'll be making them as I have leftover wrappers in the fridge to use up.

    I love coming here. You inspire me to think of things in new ways. Beautiful, beautiful photos, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and that, boys and girls, is the effect hummus is supposed to have on you.

    Mari, I make hummus several times a month, but Cannellini beans had never been part of the recipe, until now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great. I love hummus so I want to give this a try with less oil and the paste like you say. I thought hummus wasn't hummus without the tahini but if this works it would be nice to cut some calories from it. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous looking appetizer. I love the sound of everything and especially the baked wontons. You have a great site.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Figure friendly is good! I love, love, love hummus and will try this...and those won tons...what a great idea.

    Your pics are wonderfully appetizing!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautifully presented dish. I love the idea of the won ton crisps with all those delicious sesame seeds. A suggestion...when I want to thin something out or reduce fat, I use a little chicken broth. Same effect as water but it adds another layer of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary...I would love to be having a glass of wine with you and those lovely little wonton yummies with your hummus...
    I often make a white bean dip...
    I am going to try yours...
    everything looks so inviting and delicious...
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only you can make hummus so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm.... looks good. I've made something similar, but I'll have to try this one. Love the won ton crisp idea. Thanks for visiting.
    -The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comments!! It's so nice of you to make the effort to let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at Tabasco! :D

    Love your recipes - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow - those look soooo good! what a great use for those wonton skins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I saw your wontons on Foodgawker - they are beautiful and sound so easy! I can't wait to make them - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful picture I saw on tastespotting!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner