Monday

Italian Chicken Chimichangas ... baked, not fried!



I love this time of year ~ everything in the garden is
bursting with fresh new growth, and the tender,
fresh basil is abundant ~ practically calling out to be
included in many dishes as possible.

This one is a take-off on Mexican Chimichangas,
which are usually deep fried. You won't miss the extra fat
in this version because the assembled burrito is
simply brushed with vegetable oil then baked
until the tortilla is flaky and crispy, the filling
 heated through ~ and the cheese is oozing . . . Yum!

You can cook chicken specifically for this recipe, or
use leftover chicken if you prefer. (Shredded rotisserie chicken
works particularly well here.)


Italian-style Chimichangas


So easy to assemble and bake ~

Position oven rack in center of oven and
preheat to 425º(F)

Place burrito filling on a flour tortilla
(plain white, whole wheat or spinach wrap) :
 Layer in this order:

- Mozzarella cheese directly on the tortilla, then

- a dollop of Ricotta cheese, which has been thinned 
slightly with a little milk or cream, then mixed with minced 
fresh basil, minced parsley, dried or fresh oregano)
salt, pepper (minced garlic-optional)

-A spoonful of marinara if desired (I didn't this time)

- Shredded chicken

Then fold up burrito style,
brush outside of each burrito generously 
with vegetable oil, with seam side of burrito down,
 place on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, space
 one or two inches apart so they brown evenly.

Bake in preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until as
crispy and browned as you like.

Serve with your favorite warmed marinara
(and pesto sauce if you like) for dipping.


Note: You can assemble these early in the day, (don't brush with oil yet),
refrigerate, covered until baking time.
 
Remove from fridge about 10-15 minutes, then brush with the
oil and bake as directed. You may need to reduce oven temp to 400º(F) 
and increase baking time by a few minute to 
compensate for the cold filling.

Something a little different ~
simple and very tasty!

If you give this one a try, I hope you like it too.



Thank you for coming by for a visit today ~
I love to hear what's on your mind and invite you to leave a comment.

Have a happy week everyone!

~mari







11 comments:

  1. I have to try these Mary..Our basil is lush at the moment too..I bet not as lush as yours for sure..but nonetheless I don't ahve to run to the Epicerie:)

    Thank you ..Love your recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I know that they will be delicious. I must give them a try...the basil plant is popping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari, I love how you took this classic dish and put an Italian twist on it- rocks!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm!!! Cela me semble très succulent !... J'arrive !
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary! These sound simply wonderful. I'm looking forward to making these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like another winner, i am wild over basil, can't grow a lick of it with deer so i cherish it store bought even more, thank heavens they sell gallon containers at our grocery store, i can pretend i grow it, over and over!

    great idea with the oil, will have to try that soon. save me a piece would ya, i'll bring the strawberry blueberry pie~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your Italian spin on a Mexican classic.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for something like this, and with your recipe I know it will be good! Thanks so much!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. So easy with a pack of delicious flavor! A must try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner