Tuesday

Pan Seared Salmon Filets with Highly Herbed Lemon-Olive 'Vinaigrette' on Orzo Shaped Pasta




When I devised this dish the dilemma arose as to what to name it.  The 'sauce' for the fish isn't a true vinaigrette ~ it's loaded with olives, and many more chopped herbs than a traditional vinaigrette.








But the flavors of a herb vinaigrette are all there ~ Lemon juice and zest, Dijon mustard (optional), olive oil, salt and pepper. With the addition of some slivered olives. (You might like to substitute your favorite wine vinegar for the lemon if you don't care for citrus.)





If you've followed my blog for a while you know that salmon appears on the menu often so I try to keep the flavors interesting with healthy additions that can be drizzled or spooned over the cooked fish for variety.







I used Kalamata olives but you could use another type if you prefer (or omit them altogether.)







The rice shaped pasta is just boiled until al dente and plated first, the salmon on top, then a generous serving of the vinaigrette ~ it serves dual purpose by dressing the orzo as well as the fish.

  



Fortunately most of the herbs in my garden (except the most tender) over-winter in this climate so they are available year round.  This time the mix was Italian Parsley, Thyme, Oregano ~ and snipped chives (which I forgot to include in the herb photos, oops.)






Simple sides ~ Pan Roasted Tomatoes on the Vine, and flash-blanched Pea Pods.





A really delicious, healthful dinner that comes together in practically no time ~ and it's good warm or at room temperature.


If you would like a printable copy of the recipe for the 'Vinaigrette' you can find it on Once Upon a Plate ~ The Recipes by clicking HERE.






Thank you for stopping by today, friends!  ~ Mari




10 comments:

  1. AAA perfectly beautiful recipe. Outstanding photos. I would love to dine on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography is beautiful!I can eat anything with olives and herbs. I did like your white background better on your old blog better than the black. Keep your wonderful recipes coming. They are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari, YOur presentation is gorgeous! I love the idea of using intensly flavored elements to drizzle over fish! I think putting it all over orzo is brilliant. I keep forgetting how good that little pasta is!
    YUMMY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salmon is definitely a favourite around here as well Mari. Love the vinaigrette. Lemon and salmon are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures, and I'll bet it was tasty too :) Lemon and olives are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos Marie..this looks like what we eat so often..:) Just not as pretty..salmon..orzo.. rice..couscous.. fish.. regulars here..Again..love the pretty pics..so so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you posted this recipe, because I keep sticking to one way of cooking my salmon, and this is a great option.

    I really need to practice the pan searing though. I feel like that is where I get a bit scared off, and then I just put it in parchment and steam it.

    I will try this recipe and get back to you if I master the searing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Mary...what gorgeous photos...beautiful food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely dinner...beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner