Monday

Gruyère Puffs filled with Warm Bacon-Mornay Sauce



Two-bite puffs of savory goodness ~ I got the inspiration from one of Tyler Florence's restaurants to recreate them at home. They got thumbs up. :)





Crisp, airy & cheesy little pâte à choux puffs seasoned with Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Then baked and filled with a warm Gruyère Sauce Mornay, sprinkled with bacon and chives.  


Yes, they are rich, one or two will do.
And next time I will hold back a little on the amount of Mornay sauce for each one~ I got a little carried away and overfilled some.  The cheese sauce should just peek out over the top. Ooops.



Pâte à Choux?

Don't let it put you off, it is the same simple batter used to make eclairs, cream puffs, gougeres, etc. as well as savory treats like cheese gougeres, and filled savory puffs.  There are lots of excellent tutorials online if you need a little assistance the first time. Trust me, it's difficult to mess them up!



Of course you can skip the filling and just serve the warm puffs by themselves, or filled with other fillings ~ Chicken salad?  Shrimp or Tuna salad?  There are lots of possibilities.


They are perfect as an appetizer with a light meal, or as a nibble with your favorite cold beverage.

If you would like a copy the recipe you can find it Here on the Once Upon a Plate Recipe blog; and if you make them I hope you enjoy!

Thank you for coming by to visit, and any comments you would like to share.

Have a wonderful week everyone  ~Mari











17 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I didn't know there was a way to make gougeres even better! What a fabulous dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! It would have never occurred to me to top or fill a gougere with anything. These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Mari, if this doesn't look like the most delicious little thing! I only think of pate a choux for profiteroles and to see this here, with the sauce and the bacon and the mention of gruyere cheese, oh my... I will have to try this. You are quite brilliant! ;)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom made little tiny puffs all the time for special events and usually filled them with shrimp salad. I often make them and fill with tuna oe chicken salad. Yours sound just wonderful. A friend makes swans out of the dough but that's a bit much for me. It is such an easy dough for such a wonderful display! Thanks so much...gotta try this and share recipe with daughter in law!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom made little tiny puffs all the time for special events and usually filled them with shrimp salad. I often make them and fill with tuna oe chicken salad. Yours sound just wonderful. A friend makes swans out of the dough but that's a bit much for me. It is such an easy dough for such a wonderful display! Thanks so much...gotta try this and share recipe with daughter in law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful and sound delish! I will definitely try them. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mari, these remind me how much i love Gougeres! Perfect photo. Hey, haven't been here in a bit, and its got a new look! Nice! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your sweet comments ~ I must give Tyler Florence credit for the idea. :) If you try them, I hope you love them.

    Hi Terese ~ Nice to see you here, too!

    Have a lovely day everyone. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure I could only eat two? ;) They look and sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are little bites of perfection. As always I am envious of not only the food, but the photography.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner