Tuesday

Garden Vegetables and Italian Sausage Spiedini




If you planted a vegetable garden this year you
might find, as the season winds down, that you
are left with odds and ends, maybe not quite
enough of any one thing to make a recipe.

One of the things that we like to do is cube up the
vegetables, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper,
and roast them off until done to our liking.
At this point you can cool, place the veggies in a
bowl, add a little wine vinegar (or your favorite)
and toss with some fresh herbs, additional
raw tomatoes, peppers, etc.

It's delicious as a accompaniment alongside the main course;
excellent with meat, poultry or fish, or tossed with some cooked
pasta; served hot or room temperature.




The other thing I like to do when I have just
a few remnants from the garden, is cut or slice into appropriate
size for grilling, toss with olive oil, salt
and pepper and grill. Most recently I had some
Japanese eggplant, zucchini, Italian peppers, and Bell peppers.
I also had some cherry tomatoes
(which were oven roasted earlier-- I had set some aside
from making another dish) and ripe yellow tomatoes.




I wanted to assemble it all into Spiedini.
You probably know that Spiedini are the Italian
equivalent of Shish Kebabs (a Turkish meal on a stick.)

I sliced some partially boiled* and cooled Italian Sausage
into 1 1/2-inch pieces and skewered them; alternating with
red onion pieces and Italian Peppers, brushed them with
olive oil and set on the grill. You will want to turn them
every few minutes for even grilling.

*Well, not actually "boiled"; I just place the whole sausages in a skillet with about 1 to 1-1/2 inches of cool water, bring to a gentle simmer
over medium to medium high heat. You can pierce the sausage casings
with a toothpick or tip of a sharp knife to allow some of the fat to escape and to prevent the  casing from bursting.
I allow them to just barely simmer for a couple of minutes, turning once. Cook just enough for the sausage to lose the pink, 
as they will finish cooking on the grill. Allow them to cool
a bit before slicing into portions (as they will slice in a neater
fashion when cooled.)




Alongside the skewers on the grill, I placed some Japanese
eggplant  and zucchini-- sliced diagonally (to make a larger
suface area)  about 1/2-inch thick, and brushed with olive oil, 
and sprinkled with salt)  then grilled until tender.


When it comes time to serve you can either serve the
grilled skewers (everything left on the skewer)
accompanied by the eggplant, roasted
cherry tomatoes, and diced fresh tomato and sprinkle 
with fresh herbs if desired.  

This time I served appetizer-size portions on small plates.  
If you have access to really good Italian sausages, and happily I do--
I like to serve this as is ~ because it's really flavorful.  
You can also serve with a squeeze of lemon or drizzle with
your favorite vinaigrette. 

Good for a party or get together as you
can assemble and prepare ahead, then just
grill everything when you're ready.





Other summer squash would work
well in this preparation, just cut to shape/size
that you can skewer securely.

Cubes of chicken, beef, pork, seafood
or prawns are fabulous served this way too.





I do love Fall, however I am sad to see Summer winding down
(but I do not think any of us will miss the forest fires.)

I hope you are having a good week~

~mari  xoxo



8 comments:

  1. I just realized that the summer is practically over and I have not grilled a single thing on skewers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,

    I'm not so happy summer is almost over . . . but grilling (or broiling at other times of the year) no matter, I love cooking things on skewers, fun and easy food!

    Hope your new school year is off to a good start.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider this the perfect meal - A little of this and a little of that, and on a grill. Perfect.

    Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madonna, I feel the same way, especially during these very warm days ~ little plates seem to be just the thing to appease the growling tummy!

    Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You taught me a new word:)
    I enjoy vegetables cooked these ways..And Mary I want summer to stay and visit a bit longer..at least..

    Take care.. delicious post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Monique ~

    I'm so happy I taught YOU something for a change because you have taught me SO many things through the years. And I'm forever grateful. ((Hugs))

    Me too, I am sad that summer seems to have slipped by so quickly... but the temperatures now (here) are much, much more comfortable. Just have to watch out for the wasps ~ it's their time... and you know how much I don't like them... :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lorraine, Thank you!

    I enjoy watching your beautiful family grow through your blog~ your photography is so stunningly gorgeous.

    You have such enormous talent and I'm very happy that you share! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner