Monday

Spicy 'Buffalo Chicken' Mini-Meatballs




Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow of The Meatball Shop  demonstrated these spicy chicken mini-meatballs on a recently aired Martha Stewart program, they looked good so I wanted to give them a try.





All the flavors of Buffalo Chicken wings, but without the bones.









The key to the authentic "Buffalo" (as in Buffalo, New York) is the hot sauce and Frank's Red Hot  Original is the one to use.  Mixed with a little melted butter, it is perfect.  Rather than tossing the meatballs in the sauce, I drizzled just a little over (keeping in mind those who are sensitive to the heat) and offered additional sauce on the side for those who like it spicier.






Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce






~ The meatballs ~


The ingredients and method for the meatballs are fairly typical of many meatball recipes; the raw ground chicken meat, bread crumbs and eggs, minced celery, salt, mixed together, formed into 1-inch balls then baked.






You can buy ground chicken (preferably thigh meat, because it contains a little more fat so the meatballs will be moist and tender.)   I had skinless, boneless chicken thighs on hand so I just ground my own meat using the Kitchenaid stand mixer food grinder attachment.







I use the grinder attachment more frequently than I thought I would when I purchased it years ago. When you grind meat in your own kitchen you can be assured of the quality, plus you know just what you are eating. It's easy to use and I like that two plates are included, one for fine grinding, and the other for coarsely ground meat -- Chili grind.   Optional accessories make the grinder even more versatile.*


Of course you can also chop the chicken meat finely using the metal blade in your food processor, but I prefer the texture  the KitchenAid attachment produces.


Tip: If you cut the chicken thighs into approximately 2-inch pieces, then chill the meat in the freezer for several minutes you'll have an easier time of grinding or chopping it.







I made homemade Blue Cheese dip/dressing with 'Crater Lake Blue', from our local  Rogue Creamery with lots of crumbled chunks. :)  Store bought dip would be perfectly acceptable (if you don't care for blue cheese, Ranch Dip is a good alternative.)  You might want to offer celery sticks for dipping, too.





If you would like a copy of the recipe,  please click  HERE.




* Optional accessories: Sausage Stuffing device, Pasta Plates/Discs for making extruded pasta such as spaghetti (thick or thin), flat noodles, macaroni & lasagna noodles, and also a fruit/vegetable strainer attachment.




Thank you for coming by to take a look today!














16 comments:

  1. Mari, These look delicious and I will have to make a copy of the recipe. I'm so sorry I have not replied to your email and I was so glad to hear from you. This past week and a half has been crazy, my daughter just had her baby and I for the first time this week had a chance to post pics on my blog. {{HUGS}}}to you.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sensational! But I have to know...where did you get that darling little chicken dish that the sauce is in. I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small things:) Small serving dishes w/ hens:)

    How cute..everything..Bet great tasting too..Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fircracker hot good girl, happy 4th to you, i hope its safe in your forest tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious and what a fun item for an outdoor summer bite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try these! They look amazing :) Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now these look yummy!! I just might have to give these a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Jake would go crazy for these! I saw that episode as well...I am so glad you made these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOh don't they sound good. I always have a bottle of Franks hot sauce on hand. Perfect for wings and ribs.

    Mary, your photos always make my mouth water.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, thank you SO much for the kind comments everybody ~ you've made my WEEK! :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pattie, the little egg dish is a soft boiled egg holder ~ my friend Jain @ (http://onceinabluemooniris.blogspot.com/),--- and two comments below yours--- gave some to me as a gift. I believe she purchased them @ HomeGoods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A soft boiled egg holder! Brilliant! I'd have never thought to use one in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am crazy about Frank's pepper sauce...I douse every slice of pizza with it! thanks for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mari, these look so yummy, what a fun appetizer. We love to have appetizers on the beach when we are on vacation. I'm bookmarking this to try! Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner