Friday

Antipasto in Crispy Bite Size Salami Cups



When I saw this idea for an appetizer on 
the Columbus® Facebook page, I knew I
wanted to try it out.  Of course I tweaked it just a little.


A San Francisco tradition established in 1917
Columbus® products have been a favorite in my 
family for years and years. I particularly have fond
memories around holiday time when our dad would buy and 
bring home big sticks of salami from San Francisco on the train--
for gifts and snacking. 

(His job was in San Francisco and he commuted each weekday
 to and from our home on the SF Peninsula for dozens of years.
It was always treat to meet him at the train station at 5:25pm as he
stepped down from the train, neatly
dressed in suit and tie ~ briefcase in hand . . . 
 especially on the days when he had those big
paper-wrapped sticks of salami tucked under his arm! )





To make the 'cups' the pre-sliced Genoa Salame
works best because the diameter is larger than regular 
salame so it is easier to work with 
(the slices tend to shrink when baked.)

To bake, pre-heat oven to 375ºF. Tuck one slice
of salami into a small mold and press in.

I used these little Brioche molds but mini-muffin pans
work very well too. I found that sandwiching the
salami slice between two molds helps them hold their
shape while baking.




 If you have 2 identical muffin pans, put the
salami in the cups of one and carefully stack and press the 
second pan into the first, which will help keep the 
salami in place while baking.

Alternately, you can make small 'balls' out of aluminum foil and
place/press each of them down upon the salami slices in each mold ~
then bake. Personally I feel that is really wasteful, 
and would just skip this recipe and serve antipasto 
on a platter or plates instead.


Bake for 10 minutes or so. The salami will begin to
hold the shape of the mold as it begins to crisp in the
oven. It's best not to over-bake or the salami cups 
may shatter when it's time to fill them. 

(Hint: Place the molds or muffin pans on
a parchment or silicone lined rimmed baking sheet to catch
any drippings.)

When baked, remove from oven, allow to cool a moment,
it's helpful to turn molds or muffin pan upside down
to finish cooling. Before they are completely cool 
remove the 'top' mold or muffin pan.

You can make the "cups" a few hours up to one day
ahead, storing in air tight container.






Next, choose the fillings for the cups, 
just gather your favorites from
items found on the antipasto platter.

I chose:
 Black olives (brined), pitted and sliced in half
Pepperoncini, sliced
Roasted red pepper, sliced into small pieces
Marinated artichoke hearts, cut into small pieces





And some cheese goes really well in these cups.
I used the tiny, fresh 'perline' mozzarella ("pearls"),
but you can just cut other mozzarella into small
cubes. Or use another favorite cheese.

The cups themselves are rather salty and I think the
mozzarella is a good smooth contrast to the saltiness of
the other ingredients.



There are plenty of other options for fillings,
here are just a few:

Garbanzo beans (from the can, or home-cooked)
Sun dried tomato slivers
Pimento stuffed olives / other olives
Tiny cocktail onions
Small chunks of tuna or slivers of anchovy
Feta or Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
Scallions (thinly sliced)
Grape or Cherry tomatoes (sliced)
Fresh red or green bell pepper (slivered)
Marinated mushrooms (drained, and sliced if large)
Golden or brown raisins, (a few in each cup adds a nice contrast of flavors)
Bits of fresh parsley or basil leaves
Capers
Sliced tiny pickles
Slivers of red onion
Thin slices of carrot

Truly, whatever strikes your fancy.

~*~*~*~*~


How do you spell it?

Salami or Salame?

You be the judge ~ 
it seems there are varying thoughts here in the U.S.



photo credit: wikipedia
Antique Hungarian Salami Poster


Use your favorite brand of Salami in the recipe ~ I prefer the Genoa
type simply because of it's larger size; uncooked the kind I used
is about 3 1/4-inches in diameter, after being put in the mold
(plus shrinkage during baking) the cups are about 2 1/2-inch in
diameter measured from the widest points at the top of
the salami "cups".

If you make these, I hope you like them.


Thank you for stopping by, your comments make my day!

~Mari :)


(Full disclosure:  No recognition or reimbursement of any kind 
has been received from Columbus® products for featuring
their products in this post. I just happen to like their products.)




15 comments:

  1. DARLING cups and such cute graphics, pour me a g&t I will be richt over~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So dainty! I can't wait to see everyone's reactions when they see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are gorgeous Mari, and delicious I am sure. I have bookmarked these! Lovely! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much eye and appetite appeal! Could not resist these if I saw them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute..who could resist?

    Fun to be inspired:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea, thanks for all the tips too, I can't wait to try this! Love Columbus Salami, buy it whenever I can find it!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This appetizer idea is very clever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable idea for a little bit of antipasto...I love it!! But there isn't anything you make that I don't love....Happy Thanksgiving MAri....

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute and what a fun presentation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brillant idea - will be copied asap - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Brioche mold for the Salami - makes such a beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very clever idea. I love it.
    I do remember when I moved to Kansas after living in San Francisco,
    salami was one thing I missed and would have my mother send to me.
    There was a place in Daly City that had the best antipasto too. Oh
    I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fabulous idea for the holidays...i think ,y family will love these!
    Thanks for sharing!
    L xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea! I will sometimes pop slices of pepperoni in the microwave to make chips, but it never occurred to me to crisp salami. I might just have to add this to our Christmas Eve app list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea. Will also pass this on to my son. He would love this. Thanks Mary.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner