Monday

Nearly Guiltless (and Stupid Simple) Tartlets



A little over half-way to my target weight, so I'm still watching the fats, calories and carbs.  

I'm not a huge fan of sweets, but sometimes I do dream about having a little goodie or two. 





And I recently got the "craving".

So, taking stock of what was in the fridge, freezer and pantry I devised these two-bite treats, and pulled them together in almost no time.


Really simple to make ~ here are the ingredients:




Just toast up the little filo shells on a shallow baking tray in a 325˚F oven for about 5 to 7 minutes until they are lightly brown and crisp. Allow them to cool and melt the chocolate you like best and "paint" or smooth a thin layer of chocolate on the inside of the cooled tartlet shells with a small spoon. Place the chocolate lined shells in the fridge for a few minutes so the chocolate will set up, then spoon in the yogurt filling. 

I chose different flavors of yogurt; French Vanilla, Key Lime, and Black Forest Chocolate-Cherry.  Of course you can swap out any flavors of yogurt you like best.






To dress them up a little I garnished the Black Cherry-Chocolate ones with toasted sliced almonds. (I dipped them part-way in the melted chocolate and placed them on waxed paper to allow the chocolate to firm up before arranging them on the tarts.






For the Key Lime version, I plucked the tender tips off the mint sprigs in the garden ~
Pssst . . . Lime and mint are a great flavor combination!




St. Patrick's Day idea maybe?





I really liked the white chocolate with the lime and mint, too.





Just what I was dreaming of ~
Crispy/crunchy shell, cool and creamy filling , with a little layer of chocolate for a hint of decadence as a reward. Yum!!

You can make them a day ahead and store in airtight container in fridge; the chocolate on the interior provides a barrier from the yogurt and prevents the shells from becoming mushy. I'd probably garnish them at the last minute though to keep the fresh taste and appearance.


I'm not certain of the exact calorie count but the breakdown as near as I can figure is as follows:

1 plain filo shell = 23 calories
2 teaspoons 'light' yogurt per shell (100 calories per 6 ounce carton & 36 teaspoons in 6 ounces) = is just over 5 calories

This is not counting the 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of chocolate, or the garnishes for each.

Even so, I figure they are fairly lean ~ a perfect little treat to satisfy that occasional sweet tooth.

 



I used dark chocolate for the French Vanilla filling, and garnished with a ripe raspberry ~ quite delicious!  I think that was my favorite combo.  :)







If you try them I hope you like them!









Thank you so much for stopping by ~ and I hope you have a wonderful week.  My thoughts and prayers are going out to those in need.

Blessings! xoxo ~m.



20 comments:

  1. Almost too pretty to eat! Delicious and lite. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari -- these are fabulous!! Good for you for getting over 1/2 way mark!! I keep counting my carbs -- I am within 10 lbs of my goal and just over the 100 lb mark :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute, and they look like tasty little treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative way to enjoy low fat, healthy treat. This is what makes food a passion.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Une riche idée et sans retenue...
    merci beaucoup. Vos photos sont très alléchantes.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, your gorgeous photos make me wish I liked yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good. I started WW last week so I'm always looking for good treats. I am a big sweet lover :)

    I also love all the flavors you did. I'm going to try these :)

    Thank you and congrats on your weight loss.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. they may look low cal, but i never seam to stop with one of anything... maybe even 10 plus or more? very pretty~

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulous...wow...I want one now!
    Great little sweetie for those moments you need something!
    Congrats to you on your weight loss....you go girl!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea and the tartlets are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, LOVE this idea!! Little shells filled with yogurt! That's it - I think this is on the menu this weekend. I love 'stupid simple'! LOL

    Breathtaking photos, Mari. I think I need a few lessons from you... using my little camera... *sigh*

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are stunning...perfect little nibbles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am watching my weight too so these little cuties look like the best dessert for me during afternoon when I have a huge craving for something sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just lovely. I bet the trick is to only eat one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant what you did with those almonds. The tiny tarts and the chocolate dip give them real importance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the best idea I've seen in a long time! And so cute! I can't wait to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner